Household wastes can be segregated into below 4 types in almost all the countries.
Organic Waste - should be disposed in Green Bin.
- All kinds and forms of food waste.
- Animal waste, plants, soil.
- Diapers, sanitary products.
- Brown bags.
Recyclable Waste - should be disposed in Blue Bin.
- Glass bottles, Glass jars.
- Plastics (Black plastic items are non-recyclable).
- soft, stretchy plastics (Ex. Grocery bags, Diaper outer bags,).
- Metal (Aluminium/Steel products).
- All forms of paper (Newspaper, tissue paper, gift wraps, etc).
- Box boards, corrugated card boards, milk cartons.
- Foam Polystyrene (Takeout food containers)- black foam products are non-recyclable.
- Everything except Organic and Recyclable wastes (Liner bags, black plastics, aluminium foil, baby wipes, metallic gift wraps,hair, etc)
- Corrosive, flammable, explosive, and poisonous wastes are considered hazardous.
- These should not be disposed in garbage/Organic/Recyclable Bins.
- Wastes should be separated in labeled containers and can be dropped off in places that accept hazardous wastes or can request for a separate waste pickup from city corporation.
* Bio-wastes or biodegradable wastes should be disposed in a separate bio-waste bin. It should not be mixed with recyclable products. However, method of handling bio-waste is country specific.