Pedestrian crossing or Crosswalk is a specified position where pedestrians can cross the road with safety. Commonly called as "Zebra crossing" but there are differences depending on the Country.
Below are the crosswalk markings however the widely used are standard,continental and ladder.
- Zebra crossing (wide black and white strips with Belisha beacons(amber colored globe lamp on a black and white pole)).
- Pelican crossing (A crossing with signal and is button-operated. Pelican use a set time duration between red light and normal mode. This result in unnecessary wait for the vehicles even when there are no pedestrians).
- Puffin crossing (Similar to Pelican with button-operated signal but it detect the pedestrians in the wait area. If there is no people to cross,the red will go automatically to normal mode).
- Toucan crossing(A wide crossing where both pedestrians and cyclists can cross at the same time).
- Pegasus crossing (Another wide crossing for pedestrians and horse riders).
Switzerland & Hong Kong:
Zebra crossing marked in yellow.
Some intersections display red light for sometime in all directions which allows pedestrians to cross safely in any direction they want.
- We can see Pedestrian crossing with works like 3D art in some places.
- In most of the countries Pedestrian call buttons, Countdown timers, sign boards, Audible signals for differently abled people are installed.