The Met Gala is actually one of the fashion elite's biggest ball conducted annually as a fundraising event for the benefit of Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York city. Each May, the Gala celebrates opening of spring exhibition.
- Met Gala was first established in 1948 as a mid night dinner. The tickets sold to celebrities were $50 USD each.
- Now the tickets costs around $30,000 USD-$35,000 USD per person or $275,000 USD per table. After Met Gala 2019, the total funding contribution is around $200M USD which makes this event a "jewel in the New York city's social crown"
- It is one of the most successful charity events drawing attendees from the world of fashion, music, sports, film, business, music, and society.
- Celebrities are to dress up according to the Met Gala theme every year. They get to choose among the world leading fashion retailers.
- The event includes a cocktail tour and formal dinner. Cocktail tour is where the guests walk on the red carpet to exhibit their costumes before the dinner party and entertainment.
- The Costume Institute's exhibition is not on permanent public view. However it runs for several months after the big Met Gala night party where only students, scholars and designers can get access by appointment.
- The Costume Institute has a collection of nearly 30,000 costumes and accessories represents 5 continents and 7 centuries of fashion for men, women and children.