What are the effects of Fibroids in Uterus?
Mahalakshmi P - Health Bites 16-Apr-2021
Fibroids are noncancerous, muscular tumors that grow in or on the Uterus.
- Fibroids are very common in women particularly during child bearing age.
- In some women, Fibroids do not show any symptom of presence. But it may cause high menstrual bleeding with spots, abdominal pain and constipation in some women.
- Risk of pain depends on size of the fibroid and where the fibroid is located. If it is large and located near the pelvic region, it leads to heavy pain in abdominal region.
Effects during pregnancy:
- Percentage of spontaneous miscarriage are greatly increased in pregnant women with fibroids than women without fibroids.
- The size of the fibroids doesn't have effect on miscarriage. But if fibroids are multiple,it may increase the miscarriage rate when compared to presence of a single fibroid.
- Bleeding in early pregnancy can be seen, when fibroid is present near placenta.
Late Pregnancy: - Majority of fibroids do not change their size during pregnancy, but one-third may grow in first trimester. This may lead to severe abdominal pain during 2nd and 3rd trimesters in some women.
- In some rare cases, there is a risk of preterm labor or delivering growth- restricted infant.
- There may be a risk of Cesarean delivery in some women.
- Myomectomy can be considered in women with unexplained infertility or continuous pregnancy loss.
- It is rare for fibroids to be treated during first trimester. It is advisable to be in bed rest, hydrated and take medicines for abdominal pain. Myomectomy can be performed rarely for pregnant women.