What causes hiccups and how to stop that?
Mahalakshmi P - Health Bites 12-Apr-2021
- Hiccups are sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle.
- While inhaling, when the air rushes and hits the voice box, it makes the epiglottis to close suddenly. This causes hiccup sound.
- Diaphragm is a skeletal muscle which is present at the base of the chest. It separates chest from abdomen. Diaphragm contracts during inhale, relaxes during exhale.
- Epiglottis a leaf shaped membrane located behind the tongue. It is responsible for preventing food from entering windpipe and lungs.
- Irritation of diaphragm ( caused by eating quickly or too much).
- Irritation in stomach or throat.
- Fear or nervousness.
How to stop?
- Take water large mouthful and try to swallow in a single gulp.
- Inhale, shut your ears and mouth. Don't let the air to rush out. Count from 1-10 and exhale.
- Baby hiccups can be stopped by giving just water.
Repeat any of these steps until hiccup stops. These are from personal experience!
Any other suggestions to stop hiccups? Comment section is waiting for you!